Monday, April 26, 2010

Who Else Uses Playlists???

Man- is it just me or are Monday's awful??? It can be because I work in education and the weekend is never long enough, or it can be because I wish I was able to stay home and work on my POS, and my two WIPs.

Anyway, today is music Monday, and my wonderful cuz gave me a pretty good idea. I have already talked about how I use music with my writing, and a few of you have agreed, so what she suggested is that I find authors that discuss their play lists that they use for writing and share them with the rest of you! So, here is a look at a few authors that do this:


  • Stephenie Meyer (author of the Twilight series- duh!) boasts about her use of playlists- even including her playlists on her website. She often listens to bands like Coldplay, Muse, My Chemical Romance, and Blue October.





  • Maggie Stiefvater (author of Shiver and Lament) discusses how she uses music while writing at her blog. She uses music to help her focus (it helps me too!) to help find the mood in her writing, and also to help her with character development.


  • Stephen King (you BETTER know who he is) has been said to listen to Metallica while he writes.
  • Douglass Clegg, (author of Neverland) listens to movie soundtracks with no lyrics, classical music, or French/Spanish music.



Do you know of any that I have left off??? If so, please share with the rest of us writers who are also music lovers :)

4 comments:

  1. Great post--and such a wonderful topic, if I do say so myself. :) I'm always interested about the music that authors listen to while they create their work. But as much as I LOVE music, I can't really listen to it while I'm writing my first draft or even while doing serious revisions. I get too distracted, and I end up wanting to sing the lyrics as opposed to being creative. However, I do love listening to music while doing line edits or even while just reading through my work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a specific playlist for each of my writing, but I do listen to music while working. Mostly, I just put the songs I like at the moment on repeat as I work. Most often time, those become "the playlist." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write best with some music in the background. I pick an artist on my Pandora list and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randomness is so cool huh Tim? Pam, I know how u are with music playing, it's funny b/c you type the words that you sing into your work sometimes :) Sandy, that is a cool way to make a playlist!

    ReplyDelete